- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 cm dice
- 2 zucchini, green or yellow, chopped into 2 cm dice
- juice of 1 / 2 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or to taste
- 400g Chinese egg noodles – vermicelli size
- 4 green onions, cut on the bias
- handful bean sprouts
- 2 limes, quartered
- handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds, black, white or both
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Heat oil in a large wok or soup pot over medium high heat. Add curry paste, curry powder, turmeric and stir quickly until very fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add coconut milk, 250 ml at a time, bringing it to the boil after each addition.
- Add stock, star anise and cinnamon stick, brown sugar, sweet potatoes and zucchini and simmer, gently, for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add lime juice and fish sauce to taste.
- Cook all the noodles according to package directions. Divide the noodles between bowls.
- Spoon curry over noodles. Toss garnish ingredients together in a small bowl and divide between bowls. Top with garnishes and serve.