- 2 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100g bittersweet chocolate, plus a little more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toasted coconut to garnish
- Pour milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk, then leave to come to a simmer. Meanwhile, sift
- cocoa and corn starch together into a bowl. Add salt and cream and whisk until smooth. Add egg yolks and
- whisk again.
- When the milk is just beginning to simmer (tiny bubbles are forming around the edge of the pan), ladle some of
- the milk into chocolate mixture. Whisk, then ladle in another spoonful. This will gently heat the eggs. Now pour
- chocolate mixture into the pan with the remaining milk. Whisking occasionally, allow mixture to come to a boil,
- and boil for 2 minutes. Mixture should be thick by then.
- Toast coconut in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden. Or, toast on a baking sheet in a
- 375F oven for 4-6 minutes, stirring halfway, until golden.
- Spoon pudding into serving dishes and top with toasted coconut and a shaving of dark chocolate. Or, cover with
- plastic wrap and chill for a few hours, or over night.
- Serves 8