Ginger Beer Chicken with Bulgar and Sumac Salad
Ingredients for the chicken
- 8 chicken thighs, skin off
- 1 x 350ml bottle ginger beer
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
Ingredients for the salad
- 1 ½ cups bulgar wheat
- 1 ½ cups green beans, trimmed and cut to 2.5 cm pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp sumac
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- large handful fresh mint
- large handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- sea salt and black pepper
Directions for the chicken
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or zip lock bag. Cover and leave to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Directions for the salad
- Cook bulgar according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
- While the bulgar is cooking, bring a large pan of water to a boil and blanch the beans just until tender. Plunge into cold water, leave to cool, then drain.
- In a separate bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, sumac, garlic, green onions, cherry tomatoes and herbs. Toss in bulgar and green beans. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Leave to ‘marinate’ while you grill the chicken.
- For the chicken, preheat grill pan of bbq to medium high heat. Brush grill pan, if using, with oil, pull thighs out of the marinade with tongs and grill 3 minutes per side, or until no longer pink inside.
- Serve alongside salad.