Tuna Burgers with Quick Pickled Cucumber
- 1 cup drained canned cannellini or navy beans
- 2 x 170g cans tuna, drained
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- flour, for to coat patties before frying
- 4 buns, cut in half
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise with a small squeeze of wasabi
for the quick pickled cucumber
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced – use a mandolin or horizontal peeler
- 1 cup white vinegar - use champagne or cider vinegar if you have it!
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Sea salt
- Sprinkle of black and white sesame seeds
- Start by making the pickled cucumber. Layer cucumber ‘ribbon’s in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Place vinegar, sugar and water in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour onto cucumbers and leave to ‘pickle’.
- For the burgers, place, tuna, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, chives and ginger in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add sea salt and pepper and blend again. Taste, adding more salt if necessary. Spoon into a bowl then form mixture into four patties, or 8 ‘sliders’.
- Sprinkle flour on a plate and coat patties in flour on both sides.
- Heat oil in a heavy fry pan. Fry patties on both sides until golden and heated through.
- Combine wasabi and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Cover buns with spicy mayo, top with burger and a tangle of pickle and a sprinkling of black and white sesame seeds. Top with bun and serve. Or, plate tuna, without the bun, on a plate with a slick of wasabi mayo. Top with cucumber pickle and black and white sesame seeds.