Gnocchi mixed with Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients for the Mushroom Sauce
- 20 g mixed dried wild mushrooms (shiitake, morels or porcini)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped in half or left whole if small
- 125 ml Madeira or sherry
- 2/3 cups cream
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water for half an hour. Strain, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the soaked mushrooms into small pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the button mushrooms and sauté until browned. Add the chopped wild mushrooms, ¾ cup of the reserved soaking liquid and the Madeira or Sherry. Simmer for a little while, until mixture reduces slightly. Add the cream, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer gently until gnocchi is ready.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions. Place a large pan over medium high heat and coat with a little olive oil. When they float to the surface, spoon gnocchi into the hot pan. Stir to crisp up the edges.
- Tip gnocchi onto a serving platter, top with mushroom sauce and garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Serves 4
- 350g store bought gnocci