Shakshuka with Yogurt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped, one left whole
- 1 green pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 x 19 oz can tomatillas, drained
- 2 cups finely sliced or chopped greens – kale, chard etc
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup full fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbsp butter
- pinch cayenne
- sea salt and black pepper
- Heat butter in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and fry until beginning to soften. Add half the garlic, pepper, cumin and stir well. Add tomatillos, and 1 cup water and simmer for a few minutes until soft. Stir in greens, then cover briefly until greens are wilted.
- Make little divots in the sauce for the eggs. Crack eggs into divots. Put the lid back on (making sure sauce in gently simmering) and leave to cook, for 4 minutes or so for a soft egg.
- Meanwhile, spoon yogurt into a bowl and grate garlic (a fine grater is best for this job) into the yogurt. Add chopped dill and set aside. Heat butter in a small fry pan. Add cayenne and stir.
- Spoon green sauce and eggs into serving bowls.
- Spoon yogurt onto eggs and finish with a swirl of the flavoured butter.
- Serves 2-3