- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/2 Apple, chopped fine ( you could stipulate what variety of Apple the crispier the better)
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3cup pecan pieces, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½-3/4 cup Mayonnaise*
*for the Mayonnaise – use purchased, or try homemade
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 16 slices bread
- butter, at room temperature, to spread on bread slices
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Spread slices of bread on a clean work surface. Roll with a rolling pin to ensure even thickness. Spread each slice with butter, right to the edge. Spoon filling on half of the bread slices. Cover with remaining slices.
- Cut crusts off and save for croutons, stuffing, or whatever you’d like. Slice sandwiches into triangles or rectangles.
- Serve right away, or spread on a baking tray and cover sandwiches with damp paper towel or a damp tea towel then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This sandwich mixture can also be used as a salad or spooned onto lettuce/ or open faced sandwich/or regular sandwich.
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
- Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- Makes 8 Sandwiches