Squash and Roasted Red Onion Frittata
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and sliced into eight wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125ml) balsamic vinegar
Toss in with
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 8 eggs
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g (1/3 cup) soft goat cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Greens to serve
For the Squash
- Toss ingredients together in a large fry pan. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, stirring and tossing a little every so often, until onions and shiny and soft and balsamic has evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Toss squash with olive oil, salt and pepper in a roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until cubes are browned and cooked through. Set aside.
For the Frittata
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- Turn oven down to 325F. Place an oven-proof frypan over medium –high heat. Add olive oil. Spoon cubed squash and onion into pan. Top with egg mixture. Crumble goats cheese overtop and finish with Parmesan cheese. Lower heat and cook for a few minutes, until set but center is still runny. Transfer pan to oven and continue to cook for 10 minutes more, or just until set and no longer runny in the middle.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with a bunch of greens.
- Serves 4-6