Tuscan Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for later
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 fat carrot, chopped
- sea salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 finely chopped, 1 halved
- 1 x 796ml (28oz) can tomatoes
- 500g kale, stripped from the stalk
- 1 x 398g (14oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- parmesan rind, parmesan cheese to garnish
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-based soup pan over medium heat. And onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and cook, slowly, until soft. Add chilli flakes, garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes with their juice, break them up with a spoon, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Chop the kale. Add it to the pot with the beans, along with 3 cups of water (or stock) and a parmesan rind. Cook until kale is soft. Season well with salt and pepper.
- While soup is cooking, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and halved garlic in a fry pan. Add sliced bread and fry until crispy.
- Place bread in shallow serving bowls. Fish out parmesan rind and discard. Spoon soup over bread. Top with parmesan cheese, a few swirls of good olive oil, and pepper.
- Serves 4