Mexican Beans with Sunny-Side up Eggs
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for frying eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Handful cilantro, stems and tops chopped but separated
- 1/2 red pepper, cored and chopped into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 chipotle chili, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 x 28oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup (250ml) corn - fresh from the cob or frozen kernels
- 2 eggs
- Tostadas to serve
- Queso fresco*
- Lime zest
- Cilantro tops to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir. When onions start to soften, add cilantro stems. Add red pepper, spices, vinegar, honey, black beans and corn. Allow to simmer away until beans and corn are warmed through and liquid has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Crack in eggs and season with a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper. When the egg is no longer translucent, it’s a perfect, runny, sunny-side up egg. Flip it over for an over-easy egg.
- Spoon beans onto a plate. Top with fried egg. Finish with queso fresco, lime zest and cilantro.
- Serves 2.
- *Make your own queso fresco by combining equal parts feta and sour cream or Greek yogurt.