African Peanut Soup
- 4 Boerewors sausages, or one ‘coil’, casing removed and meat roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, pale green and white parts only, sliced and washed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, stems and roots chopped, reserve tops for garnish
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 28oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup (60ml) natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons madras curry paste
- 1 28oz can coconut milk
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add sausage to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir well to break up the meat. Add leeks, onion and cilantro stems and roots. Stir well. Add garlic, sweet potato and chickpeas. Again, give it a good stir.
- Whisk peanut butter curry paste and 1/4 cup (60ml) of the coconut milk together in a small bowl. Add to soup. Add enough chicken stock to just cover ingredients. Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are cooked through. Taste for seasoning. Add sea salt and pepper if needed. Serve with cilantro to garnish.