Roasted Beet and Squash Salad
For the Salad
- 4 medium sized beets, roasted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6-8 pattypans* or 1 yellow or green summer squash, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 green onions, root end removed and white and pale green ends thinly sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Large handful of salad greens
- 1/2 cup (125ml) ricotta cheese
For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Quarter the beets and set aside. Pour olive oil into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped pattypans and green onions. Leave to brown, stirring every so often. Add a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, dijon, salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- When ready to serve, place beets on a serving platter. Add pattypans, green onions, then drizzle with vinaigrette. (Any extra vinaigrette can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week). Top with pumpkin seeds and salad greens. Serve with a spoonful of fresh ricotta, topped with sea salt and pepper, on the side.
- Serves 2 as a main dish.
- *Pattypans are small, scalloped-edged summer squash. Substitute summer squash or zucchini, green beans, peas, or sugar snap peas.