Carrot Soup with Feta and Dill Pesto
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dill seeds
- 5 cups (1.2 litres) stock
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g feta (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 bunch dill, about ½ cup
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes. Add carrots, squash and dill seed and sauté 8-10 minutes more. Pour in stock, add salt and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Purée - either in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender - until smooth. Divide between bowls. Serve with a spoonful of pesto stirred through each bowl of soup.
For the Dill Pesto
- Combine the feta, pine nuts and olive oil in a bowl. A fork works best. Add salt and pepper to taste. This is a ‘hand’ stirred pesto. It’s supposed to be textured and chunky.
- Store any remaining pesto in a container in the fridge. Use in omelets, toss into salads, use a spread in sandwiches…