- 1 cup (250ml) butter
- 1 cup (250ml) packed brown sugar
- 1 sleeve Premium Plus Crackers, or other salted, square cracker or biscuit
- 1 cup (250ml) chocolate chips – not milk chocolate, it tends to burn easily
- 100g (about ½ cup) sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry fry pan for 1-2 minutes
- 100g (about ½ cup) shelled pistachios, lightly toasted in a dry fry pan for 1-2 minutes (optional)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side facing up. Cover foil with crackers. Do not overlap.
- Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking well to ensure sugar and butter are well blended. Pour mixture over crackers - it won’t cover crackers perfectly - and place cookie sheet under the broiler. Watch carefully for 1-2 minutes. Pull tray out of the oven when caramel starts to bubble. Using a spatula smooth caramel mixture over all crackers. Squish crackers back together if they pull apart. Sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers. Return tray to the oven for 1 minute, or until chocolate chips turn glossy and are melted (chips will hold their shape when melted – be careful not to over cook!). Remove tray from the oven and spread chocolate to form an ‘icing’ layer over caramel. Sprinkle with almonds and pistachios, if using.
- Place tray in the freezer for about an hour, or until firm. Leaving tray outside in the snow will also work J Carefully remove bark from foil and break into bite-sized pieces.
- Store bark in an airtight container for us to five days, or freeze for up to 2 months.