Indian Spiced Halibut or Cod
- 2 cod or halibut steaks, 400-500g in total, 1 lb
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 796ml (19oz) can plum tomatoes
- ¼ tsp Garam masala
- Pat the fish dry with paper towel. Rub them, both sides, with 1/4 tsp salt, ¼ tsp cayenne, and the turmeric. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Put 2 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. When hot, add fennel and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop – a few seconds – add the onions and garlic.
- Stir and fry until the onions are golden. Add the cumin, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp cayenne. Stir then add tomatoes and their juice, ground cumin seeds and the Garam masala. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil. When hot, add fish and brown on both sides. Don’t cook the fish through. Place fish into the tomato sauce and simmer until fish is cooked through.