Nutty Lentil Burgers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (250ml) cooked brown lentils, drained well (canned is fine)
- ¼ cup (80ml) finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (125ml) cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons almond or natural peanut butter
- ½ cup (125ml) dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 wholegrain rolls, sliced and toasted
- mayonnaise, or try vegannaise
- Sprouts or any fresh greens
- shredded beets – use a spiralizer!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to food processor.
- Add the lentils, walnuts, rice, almond or peanut butter, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper to the onion and process to blend well. Turn the mixture out into a bowl, and shape into 6 patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook, turning once, until well browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Place on bottom half of toasted burger rolls, top with whatever you want and other half of bun.
- Makes 4 burgers