Grilled Zucchini Salad
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (substitute walnuts, pecans, or even pumpkin seeds)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (substitute grana padano)
- 1 large handful of fresh basil (I added mint and parsley) well washed
- 1/2-3/4 cup (180-200ml) approximately, extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 yellow and green zucchini, thinly sliced
- More olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 block halloumi cheese, sliced
- A big handful (approximately 4 cups) mixed greens
For the Pesto
- Place a small pan over medium heat and add pine nuts. Leave to toast, shaking the pan now and then, until nuts are slightly toasted and fragrant. This will only take a minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Pile toasted nuts, garlic, cheese and herbs into a food processor. Pulse until combined. Slowly add olive oil, while pulsing, until mixture turns into a smooth paste.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Store any remaining pesto, covered with a fine layer of olive oil, in the a jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to a week.
For the Salad
- Heat a grill pan or barbecue over medium heat. Brush the grill and sliced zucchini with olive oil. Season the slices with sea salt. Grill the slices for a few minutes per side, until soft and grill marks appear. Transfer to serving plate.
- Brush grill with a little more olive oil. Lay slices of halloumi on grill and cook for one minute per side, or until grill marks appear. Transfer to serving plate with zucchini slices.
- Top slices with a handful of fresh, mixed salad greens. Dollop a spoonful of pesto on top. Toss it together and finish with a nasturtium flower, if you have one!